There is a silent, global crisis going on in men’s mental health. All around the world, men are turning up in droves to their local Accident and Emergency Departments. They are in pain, but unlike patients with cuts or fractures, their wounds are invisible to the naked eye. Oftentimes, they have suffered in silence for months or years until the burden becomes too heavy to bear.
Silencing the Stigma
Evidence suggests that men are significantly less likely to use clinical services in response to a mental health issue in comparison to women. At Jiahui Health, we want to reduce that stigma.
With appropriate assessment, identification, and intervention, mental illnesses can be successfully treated and managed.
Our mental health specialist is qualified in a variety of clinical methods and approaches to best meet the individual needs of patients. If you or someone you know is suffering from a mental health issue, please don't hesitate to contact us. You are not alone, and help is always at hand.
If you are experiencing recurring negative thoughts and emotions that affect your social life, relationships, work, or day-to-day functioning, you should talk to a mental health specialist. Getting help for depression/anxiety as early as possible gives you the best chance of recovery.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is about gaining perspective on your thought processes with the aim of modifying them from within. CBT focuses on solutions, encouraging patients to challenge distorted thinking and change destructive patterns of behavior.
- Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) is a specific type of cognitive behavioral therapy developed to help better treat borderline personality disorder. DBT is skills-focused, giving clients strategies to cope with painful emotions and relationships, including mindfullness, distress tolerance, emotion regulation, and interpersonal affectiveness.
- Solution-focused therapy: whereas traditional forms of therapy analyze problems and past life events, solution-focused therapy concentrates on setting goals and finding practical solutions in real time to find quicker resolutions to problems. This method takes the approach that with appropriate coaching, you are capable of finding your own best solutions.
- Mindfulness means tuning your awareness to the present moment, so that you become consciously aware of your thoughts and their transient nature. Mindfulness teaches you how to detach yourself from negative thought patterns and come to realize that you are not your thoughts. It can be practiced through meditation and has been shown to significantly reduce rumination and worry.
- Emotionally focused therapy (EFT) focuses primarily on relationships, attachments, and bonding. It is often used for couples or families in distress who want to improve their relationship. The therapist and client(s) look at relationship patterns and work together to move the relationship towards a healthier, more positive direction.
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are antidepressants that work by increasing levels of serotonin (the chemical in the brain that regulates feelings of wellbeing and happiness).
Benzodiazapines are a family of drugs that produce a calming effect. They work by increasing the activity of a neurotransmitter in the brain called GABA, reducing anxiety, relaxing muscles and inducing sleepiness. Short-acting benzodiazapines are preferred for treatment of insomnia, while longer-acting ones are recommended for anxiety.
- Previous: Immune Therapy and Oncology Treatment
- Next: Frequently Asked Questions on Radiation Therapy